Monday, August 3, 2009

Sad day

Such a sad day today.
I'm actually post call today. On call last night. 2 patients passed away, both cancer patients, both are leukaemic patient.

What more saddened me was, one of them, was offered chemo drug (drug for cancer), but the mother refused. more disappointing was, her mother is a staff nurse in ICU in a hospital nearby. The parent opted for 'alternative treatment', using 'transfer factor'. I dont know much about this drug, but it is definitely not approved by health ministry to be sold as a drug, only as a food supplement.

However, when I sit back and reflect, I learn a new lesson, and a new perspective.

I remember a story being told by our Great Prophet Muhammad SAW about Prophet Musa.
One day, Prophet Musa fall sick. He make a prayer and asked Allah for a cure. Allah then ordered him to take one kind of leaves and eat it. The moment he eat the leaves, his illness was cured.
Few months later, same illness strike him. So, without making prayer, he straight went looking for the same leaves, and eat it. However, this time, his illness was not cured. He was puzzled. So he make a prayer and ask Allah;
'O Allah, why did my illness was not cured even I eat the same leaves that you ordered me to do so previously?'
Allah then answered him:
'previously, you ask for a cure from Me, so I put 'the cure' into the leaves that you eat before. However, this time around, you did not ask Me first. So the leaves that you ate was just plain leaves without any 'cure'.

I understand now, no matter what kind of treatment that we sought, be it 'conventional' or 'alternative' medicine, we should also make a prayer for Him to bestow the cure into the medicine that we took.

No comments:

Post a Comment